Our client is looking for design solutions that work, wow, and withstand. They partner with healthcare, education, and civic clients to design buildings that promote healing, inspire learning, and create vibrant communities. Whether it’s a hospital, elementary school, student union, or community center, our empowered teams are experts when it comes to delivering successful projects and creating meaningful spaces.
They are is in search of an experienced Principal in Charge with Civic project experience. This position will be located in our Los Angeles, CA office.
The Principal in Charge will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and overseeing a major project or projects through all phases of development. Where applicable, gives direction to assigned staff. Leads the client relationship. Assigns appropriate staff.
Will establish and maintain budgets, schedules, and monitor adherence to terms of contract expectations. Has responsibility for client contact and authority to direct, control, and monitor all project activities. Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to oversee several groups performing work or supporting work. Responsible for ongoing marketing and business development and maintaining a consistent backlog of work. Responsible for becoming a known presence in the community and/or specific C markets segment.
Education: Architectural degree from an accredited university
Experience: Minimum of 12 years’ experience in production and coordination of documents in all phases of architectural practice and in management of projects desired. A minimum of 5 years of experience working on public and/or private projects. Architectural License strongly recommended.
Communication and Collaboration
- Establish productive working relationships, and deal effectively and cooperatively with clients, team members, consultants, and government agencies.
- Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain the reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions.
- Resolve issues related to team members and consultants.
- Ensure that coaching, mentoring, and performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members are provided.
- Direct overall verbal and graphic communication of complex project concepts to clients, public agencies, and project team members, and be the primary point of contact for all client issues.
- Resolve “lost opportunity” issues, including staffing adjustments, review of contractual obligations, and scope of service.
- Promote the values and culture of the company.
- Collaborate with Business Operation, Design, Project Management, Technical, and Business Development Area Leaders.
- Listen and communicate effectively and professionally in a wide variety of settings inside and outside the firm.
Supervision and Delegation
- Give assignments to office support staff, consultants, and vendors clearly, effectively, and professionally.
- Monitor employee performance and take appropriate action to provide feedback both positive and negative performance.
- Supervise and manage multiple clients and project managers for all phases of projects.
- Ability to supervise several groups.
- Ability to lead and inspire others with integrity, commitment, and dedication to accomplish client, project, and firm objectives.
- Self-motivated and ability to work as part of a team or independently, depending upon the situation.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Write RFP’S and negotiate contracts and fees with clients and consultants.
- Ability to review and edit specifications.
- Understands all aspects of Project Management.
- Ensure that the documents meet the client standards and all protocols.
- Write articles for professional publications of architecture and construction industry.
- Write training material for staff development.
- Write and develop project marketing interview materials. Participate and lead in project marketing interview.
- Primary proponent for project pursuit.
- Ability to market project capability through public presentations and professional publications.
- Attend conferences, events, and other networking opportunities.
- Develop new client contacts.
- Develop a network of current and past clients and industry partners.
- Develop relationships with agency leaders in their markets.
- Represent the business in the industry and in the community.
- Maintain an appropriate backlog of work.
- Acquire work that is in line with the firm and office/studio goals.
- Strong client and customer orientation.
- Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
- Set goals, prioritize, and plan work activities for self-management and use time efficiently.
- Review and assist staff in setting budgets, goals, and preparing work plans that clearly define their expectations, and take appropriate action when they are met and when they are not met.
- Encourage professional and beneficial relationships.
- Monitor staffing plans to projected workloads to meet expected project timelines and project budgets.
- Adjust staffing when needed.
- Resolve collection of aged accounts and any financial issues with clients.
- Responsible for ensuring that all procedures, standards, and protocols are followed.
- Lead the project team for Go/No Go decisions of project pursuits.
- Serve as an example of leadership that strives to achieve the firm’s strategic and business goals.
- Provide support and leadership to other offices, studios, and groups.
- Ensure that project managers support design and follow design intent and quality on all projects.
- Ensure that project design supports firm’s design goals.
- Ensure that documents are reviewed for quality, coordination, and compliance with the requirements of deliverables and client standards in all phases.
- Review cost estimates and conduct value analysis.
- Resolve plan check and approval issues with the agencies and clients.
- Ensure that materials and systems meet client standards and are within budget.
- Oversee and resolve issues during the construction phase of all work under their supervision.